The ICSC’s 2015 Thanksgiving Weekend Survey recently completed and showed some very interesting data.
Among the bullet points pulled together by ICSC include:
- Thanksgiving weekend doesn’t only include shopping, but also other activities such as restaurant dining, going to movie theaters, visits with “Mall Santas” and other community events.
- The youngest age groups plan on shopping the most during Black Friday.
- 70% of respondents plan to spend money during the holiday weekend, and 95% of those plan on spending at locations or websites of companies that have a brick-and-mortar store.
- When using in-store pickup, 80% of shopper are likely to purchase more items from the store they are picking up from.
- 40% of money spent during holiday shopping are for non-gift items, i.e. people are taking advantage the discounts to acquire items they need for non-gift and non-holiday reasons.
- 80% of respondents plan on doing research online before purchasing in-store.
The data shows that while online presence and information is an important part of the holiday shopping equation, shopping malls are still an integral part as well.